Yellowstone and Beyond

Tuesday May 15, 2012

After spending a pleasant evening sitting on the deck of my hotel relaxing to the sounds of the river, I'm energized and ready for my eastward trek to Mount Rushmore and the Badlands. To get there, I need to reenter Yellowstone and catch highway 212 to the northeast exit. I must admit that I was a little disappointed with the park yesterday and was wondering if I was in the right place. The drive along highway 212 changed my mind. The scenery is stunning and there's something magical about seeing all the large wildlife roaming free on the vast plains with snow-capped mountains as a backdrop. I saw bison, deer and yes, a grizzly bear. The bear was rather far off in the distance and there was a mob of folks trying to take pictures so I passed on the photo op.

Grazing Bison -- Look Closely
Upon exiting the park, I stopped immediately to get something to eat and take a break (all that picture taking will wear a person out). A man with a John Denver hat and Duane Allman haircut was grilling in front of the place so I opted for a grilled polish sausage in a bun. It was tasty indeed. Turns out the man was from an area in Illinois that I had lived so we conversed for quite some time.

After the extended lunch and conversation break, I mounted my steed and hit the starter button only to hear the dreaded clickety, clickety sound that is indicative of a drained battery. Great... When I had parked, I put the kickstand down while the bike was in gear which automatically kills the engine. Note to self: when killing the engine using the old kickstand while in gear method, make sure you turn the ignition switch off! Motorcycle lights are always on when the ignition switch is on and that will drain the battery very fast.

My new friend was quick to give me a push so this was only a minor catastrophe. The bike started right up and I was off with no permanent damage.

Lights Out
Grand Rapid SD is my next destination and there are two ways to get there from the current location. Fortunately, highway 212 was closed so I had to take the Chief Joseph scenic highway. This route had amazing views. The roads weren't that good going up the mountain. They were full of tar snakes that had deep groves and would grab the front tire scaring the expletives out of me. Fortunately, the pavement was pretty good going down. I had a blast navigating that stretch.

Fun Navigation
The Chief Joseph scenic highway led to Sheridan WY. I stopped to get some supplies at the grocery while there and when I returned to my spot in the parking lot, there was a congregation of teen-aged girls and a matronly figure around my motorcycle. Taking advantage of the opportunity, I struck up a conversation and got good advice for the next leg of my journey. Highway 14 from Sheridan to Gillette is also a designated scenic route and that was to be my next course.

The scenery was very different from the first scenic byway. This was a more arid type of mountainous terrain and reminiscent of the Arizona landscapes.


After a long day of riding and picture taking, I'm exhausted and stop in Gillette WY for the evening.

Tomorrow Mount Rushmore and the Badlands.



Photos:    https://plus.google.com/photos/117227791501639555776/albums/5743738283567217281?authkey=CJSH9_755JGKjQE


No comments:

Post a Comment