Carlsbad Here I Come

Monday April 30

Got up feeling pretty good. The hotel turned out to be rather shabby, but quiet and clean enough to not get too overly concerned. The place definitely could use some new management.

Where's the Party?
When I checked in last night, I asked for a luggage cart to haul my stuff to the room. The staff explained that there was only a grocery cart. I had a better Idea, I just rode my motorcycle onto the professionally landscaped grounds and unloaded from there.  Today when I went to get ice for my cooler, I noticed the aforementioned cart was doing double duty. The cleaning staff also makes use of this most versatile utensil.

Walmart Hospitality Services
The ride yesterday was very pleasant due to the favorable conditions, but today is not so good. I'm heading to Carlsbad to see the caverns. The route I'm taking is I-20 to Odessa to state-385 to state-176 to state-180 to Carlsbad NM. I should have taken I-40 to state-285. I'm sure it couldn't have been less exciting. This was a dreary ride. It was hot, windy and the landscape was classic west Texas; a moonscape with scrub. There's nothing much to report other than it was very hot, just over 100, and my riding clothes are really getting uncomfortable. It is a dry heat so it's almost tolerable, but I do have to stop and rest for a while to regain some vigor. Just into New Mexico, I finally spot a rest stop and pull in.

How Mod is This
After resting a bit, I get back on the road to fight the sun, wind and dust. This is oil and mineral country so there's trucks galore on the highway. I'm really not enjoying the ride and am ready to get to Carlsbad. When I do arrive at Carlsbad, I'm beat so I pull into Wendy's to recharge. There's very little to choose from in the smaller towns other than fast food. The quaint locally owned restaurants seem to be a thing of the past I guess because I haven't seen any yet.

Once recharged, I look for a place to stay and find a little cottage in a RV and campground park. The cottage has no bathroom or linen, but I have supplies for camping so I can use the public facilities; I'm good to go. The thing it has that I do like is the afternoon shaded porch. My evening consisted of sitting on the porch and relaxing with a beverage.

Morning Sun
The town of Carlsbad is not bad, but the smells can be a little overwhelming at times. I was told there's a refinery there and when the wind blows just right, it can be very noxious. Tomorrow I'm off to the Caverns.



Photos:  https://plus.google.com/photos/117227791501639555776/albums/5743759630310870993?authkey=CJvatPP07saQ7wE

No comments:

Post a Comment