Grand Teton and Yellowstone

Monday May 14, 2012

I'm up bright and early ready to go at 9:00 today. The little town of Driggs doesn't seem to have any restaurants open for breakfast, so I head on down the road. After about ten miles or so, I see a gas station with a snack bar and grill. I stop to refuel and get some breakfast. I still have forty miles to go before I get to Jackson Wyoming which is the entrance to Grand Teton.

Jackson looks like a nice place. It's very quaint and trendy looking in a Sundance cool sort of way. It's probably way too cool for me so I just keep going on toward the entrance to the Grand Teton park. My season pass I bought at Carlsbad Caverns sure is coming in handy.


Grand Teton is essentially a lake and mountain range with the usual hiking trails, picnic spots, etc.I didn't engage in any activities other than snapping photos off the main road. The scenery was spectacular.


If you follow the road north through Teton, it will lead to Yellowstone. I was told that the road had just opened the weekend before so I was a bit lucky. I didn't call ahead and ask about road conditions before committing to the south to north route. Even so, I was surprised to see so much snow. BTW, the temperature while riding through this winter-land was about 60 degrees Fahrenheit.


While driving away after getting a snapshot of the continental divide marker, I was flagged by a woman offering to take a picture of me next to the marker.  Why not I thought, so I dequiped (my word which means to yet again remove your helmet, gloves, stash the sunglasses, etc.) to pose for the picture.


The woman was with a group of riders composed of two couples -- in the traditional sense. Jenny was riding her own machine with two other bikes in the group. I didn't get the names of the rest of the group, but they were all good company and we had a pleasant conversation about our experiences touring.

Jenny in Yellow and Friends
On up the road I come to the most famous landmark of Yellowstone. I can't resist so I stop in and find that I just missed the eruption. I sit for the next hour waiting for Old Faithful. Sure enough, it didn't disappoint.

Old Faithful
After that grand event, I head on north out of the park and land in Gardiner Montana. It's a nice little town and I scored on the hotel for the evening. It's right on the river with a beautiful view.
View From Balcony
Tomorrow, I go through the park east to South Dakota and the Badlands.



Photos:  https://plus.google.com/photos/117227791501639555776/albums/5743733062370444817?authkey=CN3N28mP7OOYCQ

2 comments:

  1. That 2nd Teton picture is my favorite of the whole trip I think! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful scenery - visiting next month. I hope your trip continues safely!

    Sam G.

    ReplyDelete