Columbia River Gorge

Saturday May 12

After getting a day's rest, you would think I could get away and on the road before noon. That wasn't the case of course. I started my trip today at noon and that was without breakfast which of course meant that I would have to stop for at least 30 minutes to take on nourishment.

My route today was through the Columbia River Gorge. It was a delightful ride with beautiful scenery all around. There were no winds to speak of which made for some pleasant piloting. Sitting in the saddle of an FJR at interstate speeds with no winds on good pavement is a soul satisfying experience. Too bad Oregon has has no faith in their motoring public. I couldn't believe the maximum speed limit of 65 on the best of I-84 sections. Similar roads in Texas were set at 80.

Columbia River Gorge
Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to get any photos of Mt Hood as I thought it would appear at any moment while in the gorge. It never happened. I did manage to get the tip-top of the mountain in one shot.

Top of Mount Hood -- I Think
Oregon is geographically very interesting. It is lush on the coast and quite arid to the east. The transition to arid happens fairly quick. It seemed as though it only took a few minutes and I was out of the green and into the gray.

Arid Scrub
The scrub lasts a good long time and then the mountains come into view. It's visually appealing particularly after riding in the scrub for over an hour or so.

Mountains in the Distance
The temperature drop is considerable after scaling the mountains and the vegetation becomes green again. This change was drastic and sudden and welcomed. The views are nice.

Green Again
No human interest stories to report today. I ended up in Ontario OR, ate dinner, went to the hotel room and prepped for tomorrow's ride to Yellowstone. I'm going to try really hard to be on the road by 8:00AM.



 Photos:  https://plus.google.com/photos/117227791501639555776/albums/5741916079041666657?authkey=CJPZxfCzuNP-MQ



2 comments:

  1. Michael- this is great! Pics are beautiful & so happy for anyone to have an adventure! Safe travels & if you are planning to bike near DC, visit!!

    Love,
    Mandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them. Unfortunately, I won't be going that far east so I'll have to catch you on my next trip. I will however be stopping in Illinois to see my sisters.

      Love you too

      Delete