Carlsbad Caverns

Tuesday, May 1

Packed and ready to go, I head south on State-180 to the Carlsbad Caverns National Park. Today, I've ditched the black padded riding pants for jeans due to yesterday's heat and discomfort. I'm also going to do a lot of walking and don't want to have to change in the parking lot.

The view changes from the never-ending flat scrub to a mountain in the distance. Finally, something to look at other than scrub. Pulling into the park, the view changes dramatically and the scenery becomes what one would imagine from a John Ford western.

Entrance to Carlsbad Caverns National Park
From the entrance, the road to the caverns winds about 10 miles on very smooth pavement. Too bad the speed limit is so low. I would love to zip through here on the bike. There are several exhibits along the way that look interesting. I stopped at one but I was eager to get to the main event. When arriving at the visitor center where the entrance to the caverns are, you are greeted with an expansive view of the plains below. Now we're seeing the good stuff.

Road to Visitor Center
The caverns are huge! Words or pictures can't describe it. You have to see it to appreciate the immensity. It takes two hours to walk the entire length of the designated path if you don't dawdle. No pictures I took would do it justice, but I'll post one just for flavor.

That's Interesting...
That was awesome and now I'm off to Albuquerque to stop over before heading to the Grand Canyon. The winds are gusting left to right today and the riding is laborious. Occasional gusts almost blow me off the road, but I'm alert so no real terror episodes to report.

The landscape has changed from the flat scrub of southern New Mexico to flat grassland with outcroppings in the distance. It's getting interesting.

Serenity
 After riding for about 300 miles, I decide to pull into a rest stop about 50 miles east of Albuquerque with about one hour of sunlight left. I'm tired and want to rest and gather my thoughts before heading into town and finding a hotel. The view has changed dramatically and now there are mountains. Too bad I can't just pitch a tent and stop for the night.

It's Getting Late
Onward to town and a hotel. I find a Motel6 at a cheap price. It's new and surprisingly nice. Tomorrow I head for the Grand Canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment