Homeward Bound

Sunday May 20

If all goes to plan, I should be home sometime after 8:00 PM Eastern tonight. The weather report last night indicated possible thunder showers for the Illinois area but there's not a cloud in the sky. That's interesting because I've barely seen a cloud for the past 24 days of this trip. I've been extremely lucky with the weather as it relates to rain and cold.

Since I said my good byes at two households, I'm a bit late starting out. I finally get off in earnest at around 11:30 PM eastern. I'm determined to get home as quickly as legally possible. I've developed a major case of home sickness.

I'm taking the most direct course possible and hit the "Home" button on my GPS. This route takes me for some time on S-127 south until the interstates come into play. From there it's super slabbing all the way.

Just around Clarksville TN, I run into some very ominous clouds and wonder if I should put on my rain gear. I decide no and pass up the rest area. About a mile down the road, the bottom falls out. I stop under the first overpass and put on the rain gear. The storm is really severe with hail and gobs of rain. I'm going to have to sit this out a little.

After about ten minutes, the rains subside to the point that I can safely ride again. I climb aboard with my rain gear on and it's very comfortable for the first twenty miles or so due to the light rain and cooler temperatures. It doesn't take long for that to change and it's back to high 80's with no rain. I ride the rest of the way in my rain gear; I don't want to take time to change.

As I'm approaching Atlanta on I-75, my MP3 player, which was set to play random songs, starts playing Alison Krauss'  version of "Oh Atlanta". How appropriate.  After navigating I-285 onto I-85 north, I'm on the last stretch north to my house in Lawrenceville. There's a very brief and light rainfall about ten miles from my house when low and behold, I see a rainbow. Over the horizon, that rainbow appears to end in the area of my home. I am reminded of the biblical verse "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also".

I pull into my driveway about 8:00 PM and await the welcoming committee. Eventually they show and I get my hugs and kisses.

Happy To Be Home
I've covered 585 miles today in less than nine hours. This is the second longest leg of the journey, but the most tiring due to it's non-stop nature. Total miles for the trip is 7770.


The Yamaha FJR1300 is an exceptional ride and I had zero problems related to the motorcycle.

The Shinko tires lasted the whole trip and I would give them an overall average-to-good rating. The low-to-medium speed handling was getting a little squirrelly toward the end. Considering what I paid for the tires, I would say they are a good value.

I will amend my earlier comments about the stock seat. For my next epic journey, I think I will get a seat upgrade. The stock seat is OK for a leisurely two-tank (400 miles or so) ride, but serious miles with minimal rest can be painfully uncomfortable. For the whole trip, I averaged about 350 miles per day so usually the seat was not an issue.

This has been one of the most exciting and challenging things I have ever done. I have no regrets but If I were to do it again, I would certainly revisit my equipment list -- particularly the camping supplies and footwear. Overall though, the experience was a blast. I saw some amazing sites and met some interesting people. The daily rides sometimes challenged my patience and endurance, but overall they were most enjoyable and at times exhilarating. Everyone should take their own epic adventure journey at least once in their lives -- whatever the mode.

Now I must return to the daily routine of earning a living. For now, the wanderlust has been satisfied and I'm content with my domesticated day-to-day. I'm sure in time, dreams of far-away places and new experiences will invade my thoughts and the old wandering spirit will once again compel a new adventure. Perhaps next time, I'll leave the motorcycle at home. I've always been fascinated with sailboats...

Until then, thanks for reading.

Cheers


4 comments:

  1. Welcome home !! What a trip!! Ya ready to race me across the Atlantic Ocean in a signal handed sailboat. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime :-) I'm looking now for the perfect schooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tiger! I've been following your epic journey with both excitement and envy, in that it's not me ;) I'm glad you were able to take the time to do the Big Loop. There's really nothing like getting out on the FJR and cleansing the soul. Folks that don't ride have a hard time understanding what we do, and I get that. But those of us that do it certainly get it. And to be able to do it on the FJR just makes it that much better. It is the most capable machine available for the adventure you took, another thing that even other riders don't get. But again, we certainly get it.

    As nice as the road is, it just makes it that much better to pull in the driveway and know you are sleeping in your bed that night. So welcome home and War Eagle!

    Give me a shout on the forum and let's get together and ride sometime.

    FJRBandit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment. I had a blast and can't wait for my next adventure. There's nothing like getting out on the road on such a fine machine as the FJR. I look forward to meeting another kindred spirit and sharing stories of the road.

    WDE!

    ReplyDelete