The Petrified Forest

Wednesday, May 2

I'm off to the the Grand Canyon today. I got up early so I could update the blog. I'm getting better at packing because when I checked the time, it was 10:18 and checkout is 11:00. I was out of the room and ready to go at 10:58. That's a record so far: 40 minutes. Onward to Flagstaff, Az and the Grand Canyon.

The scenery is getting more interesting as I head west. The winds are brutal today and I am working hard to keep the bike on the road. Once into Arizona, I pull over to rest a spell. I must attend to some business back home, but I spend most of the time trying to keep things from blowing away as I attempt to talk on the phone. I'm a bit tense due to the winds and frustration but manage a smile for the picture.

Arizona Rest Stop
Decided to stop at the Petrified Forest National Park on the way to the Grand Canyon. It's just off I-40 so it shouldn't take too long and I bought a National Park season pass at the caverns so admission is already covered. The park itself is a road that's just over 20 miles that cuts through some of the most awe-inspiring scenery I've seen to this point. Most of the actual petrified wood is at the end of the road if you start from the eastern I-40 entrance and they are mostly incidental to the views.

Petrified Forest National Park
Petrified Forest National Park
What a day. That took way longer than I thought, I'm tired and still have to go about 90 miles to Flagstaff, Az. The Grand Canyon is out of the question today. To make matters worse, I lost my medium weather gloves. It was so windy, they blew away due to poor strap management.

Notice the Gloves
And before I forget...

Actual Petrified Wood
I stop in Winslow for gas and am reminded of the Eagles tune Take it Easy.

I arrive in Flagstaff and it's getting cold. I've changed to my leather jacket, but I don't have the liner in and only a T-shirt on underneath. I stop and eat to get some energy and locate a hotel. Recharged again and ready for some warmth, I find a decent hotel and check in. I'm so tired, I fall asleep almost immediately.

Tomorrow, the Grand Canyon.



Photos:  https://plus.google.com/photos/117227791501639555776/albums/5740068864612564561?authkey=CPWwxdOEzNKtJw

1 comment:

  1. Just checked out the extra photos on this entry -- scrubby land, but pretty sky and rock formations. You have had good luck with the weather.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete