Utah Via Yellowstone

August 24, 2013

I can't believe I didn't take a picture of the hotel. Now I can't remember the name of the place. All I can remember of my stay was sitting on the grass in front of the hotel in my camp chair getting eaten alive by some foreign-to-me insect. Thankfully, there were no lasting marks the next morning.

The weather was a little ominous as the day began but later improved and I never got into any unbearable conditions that might have impeded my progress.

A Little Wet This Morning
The destination for the day was Moab, Utah at a leisurely pace through Yellowstone. My visit last year to Yellowstone on the motorcycle was enjoyable enough, but I didn't really get a chance to see that much. As it turned out, I didn't see a whole lot more than my first trip, but I did get a chance to visit the canyon.


Yellowstone is interesting, but it's probably better suited for folks with four-wheeled vehicles, camping gear and a lot of time. Everything is so spread out, it's not easily explored in a day or two. The scenery is spectacular and the wildlife is unique, but it's a little tedious to dwell in the park on a motorcycle.

I did stop and have lunch on the lake. When I came through in the spring of 2012, it was frozen. This time it was all water but the breeze coming off the lake was really cold. I also couldn't get rid of the ravens. They must get a lot of free lunches.

No Free Lunch For You
After lunch, I headed on south through Grand Teton. It's a magnificent place, but it's much prettier in the spring. The snow-capped mountains weren't so "snow-capped" in August. That didn't stop me from taking a break and snapping a couple of photos.

My Trusty Steed
After Teton, it was time to make some miles. The weather was agreeable and I had a schedule to keep. I had to be back in Atlanta September 3rd to start a new contract, so I couldn't linger any longer than necessary. But first, a bite to eat at the local Micky Dees in Jackson, Wy. Actually, they have a very tasty salad that I like. After that, it was all business.

I would have continued much further, but the skies took a major turn for the worse and I had to stop at an obscure little place in southern Wyoming or Idaho; I can't remember completely. It appeared there were only two guests in the place and we both were riding Yamaha FJRs. As I pulled up to my room, the other guest poked his head out of the door and said hello. That was right before the bottom dropped out of the skies. Bummer, there was no place to get anything to eat, so I ended up dining on trail mix.

A Couple of Rain Drenched FJRs
That's how the day ended. Me trying to sleep in an obscure motel with little food and a little behind schedule. I was averaging about 500 miles a day at that point and it was starting to wear on my body.


No comments:

Post a Comment