Hello Sister

August 28, 2013

After that much needed nap, I got up early and headed out on the road again with one purpose only: make as many miles as quickly as possible. All the site seeing was over and the journey home had begun in earnest. Early on I started noticing the day wasn't going to be stellar in terms of enjoyment. The temperature was rising quickly and I still hadn't fully recovered from the previous day's ride.

Kansas isn't the most picturesque state in the union, but it does have some interesting geographical features. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures so you'll have to take my word for it.

After much pain and suffering, I stopped at a rest stop just west of St Louis. It was extremely hot and I was yet again exhausted. The thought of having to continue the day's journey to Atlanta in the heat was more than I could bear. Fortunately my oldest sister lives east of St Louis in Illinois and I had planned to visit her on the return trip if I had time. I made time.

It took me another hour and a half to get to my sisters house. It was such a relief to get off the motorcycle and just lie down. I spent the next day visiting with my sister and nephews. We had a very nice time.

August 30, 2013

After a day of rest, I felt much better and the trip to Atlanta from Illinois was uneventful other than a few showers here and there. It's not that bad with the rain suit on.

The mileage for the entire trip was 5772 miles and I averaged over 500 miles a day. The longest day of the trip was just under 700 miles. I've decided that if I am to do another long trip, I will not constrain myself to a schedule such that I wear myself out trying to make more miles than is comfortable. Otherwise, it was a lot of fun and maybe I'll do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment