Beartooth Pass


August 23, 2013

Last night, I slept pretty good considering the hard ground and windy conditions. I don't know what this place used to be, but it is currently the most rocky soil I've ever seen. I couldn't get any of my tent stakes in the ground more than a couple of inches or so. It's good the wind didn't get any worse than when I put the tent up because I don't think the stakes holding the rain fly would have survived. As it was, the winds were brisk and declined as the night progressed providing a nice environment for sleep.
Luxury...
After packing up, I contemplated having breakfast in the diner but decided to pass. After using the facilities, I observed the place was too busy and I was anxious to get out on the road. The day's destination of Yellowstone via Bear Tooth pass had a little uncertainty due to fires along the pass; I would rather save my time for the end of the day in case there are complications. I rolled onto I-90 just before 8:00AM... one of my earliest starts to date.

The route for the day was along I-90 to just past Billingsly, Mt where I could exit onto S-212/Bear Tooth highway. Just before exiting, I stopped at a big truck stop with a McDonalds to get a quick bite to eat and some ice for my cooler. I really appreciate the accessible drink and ice machine arrangement at most McDonalds. My cooler is very small and can only hold about six drinks maximum, so I only need a little bit of ice to keep things cool. It's so nice to take on 'free' ice in the morning while having a cup of coffee. While sipping on my joe, I learned from some of the patrons that the pass was open. That was good to hear because I didn't know where I would go if it had been closed.

As I was preparing to leave the parking lot, I observed a couple of free wheeling young ladies sitting on the sidewalk. They were attired in a 60's hitch-hiking-hippie motif and had more leg hair than I've seen since my high-school football days. If that wasn't charming enough, they also had a couple of scroungy looking mutts on leashes. I could only imagine the smell and wondered who might be brave enough to give that crew a ride. The dogs alone would be a deal killer for me. Maybe they made it OK.
Just a Little Smoke
The Bear Tooth Pass didn't disappoint. I've heard it referred to as the most beautiful drive in America and I can't argue with that assessment. It is spectacular scenery for miles upon miles and from a sporting motorcyclist's perspective, the roads are engaging enough to make it even better.

Do The Pads Make My Hips Look Big?
On advice I received from a fellow two-wheel enthusiast earlier in the day, I decided to stop in Cook City, Mt for the evening. It's just outside the Yellowstone NP gate and the last chance to get a hotel room. I was just too tired from the previous night's camping to sleep on the ground, and it looked as though a storm was brewing anyway. A restful night was an absolute must; my body was really being a painful nag.

Once I got to Cook City, I cruised up and down the main street a couple of times before stopping at the visitor center to ask about accommodations. They weren't that helpful, so I decided to stop at the first place that looked appropriate. Good fortune came my was as someone had just canceled a reservation and I got a decent room at a fair price.

No comments:

Post a Comment