Rocky Mountain National Park

August 27, 2013

I got up early and headed out as quickly as possible. To get to RMNP, I had to go through Boulder, Co. As it turned out, the traffic became a problem and it was hot. I got a little over heated and somewhat exhausted sitting in the traffic of Boulder. I had totally misjudged the distance to the park which probably contributed to my exhaustion. My optimistic expectations played a bad trick on my mental well being. Ultimately I made it to the park at a reasonable time, but my countenance was not as chirpy as it could have been given the circumstances.

Once in the park, I felt better and was looking forward to relaxing a bit in the saddle while taking in the view. The park is very nice and essentially one long road that loops back to I-70. It also contains one of the higher elevation highways -- just a bit over 12,000 feet -- in the lower 48 states.




As I was plodding along a shaded portion of the aforementioned highway, I noticed a vehicle parked along the side with an official looking person standing as if to signal oncoming traffic. I slowed and raised my visor a bit to get some air on my face and prepare myself for conversation. At that moment, a flying insect with a stinger flew into my helmet and popped me right on the cheek. Ouch! Considering the challenging roads, my earlier exhaustion, the elevation and the newly injected venom in my face, I decided to stop at the parking area just ahead to rest a bit. I didn't want to take any chances with any allergic reactions while traversing the mountain roads.

After some time, I decided that I would be okay to continue the climb to the top of the mountain. I don't think I was at elevation long enough to feel the affects of altitude and the swelling of my cheek subsided quickly. I felt pretty good for the most part so I was off again.

It wasn't long before I was descending from the mountain and ultimately out of the park onto the state roads leading to I-70. I felt kind of cheated having to navigate the same stretch of I-70 that I had traversed that morning. If I had to do it again, I would have entered the park where I exited and exited where I exited. Boulder was no fun to navigate. Hopefully, there will be a next time.

On the road again in earnest, I got to Denver right at rush hour. It wasn't that bad and I got through it soon enough. It's a very dramatic landscape change east of Denver. It's as flat as can be and nothing in sight for miles and miles except fields of grain...


and those worthless wind turbines...


I'll believe in wind power when it is no longer subsidized by the government. Rant over...

According to my fuzzy recollections of Google maps, I had ascertained that Kansas was only about an hour or so east of Denver. Yet again my optimistic expectations were completely wrong and I had set myself up for disappointment. It was more like two and a half hours and my goal of getting to Kansas before dark was dealt a harsh blow after about an hour on the road. My keen observations of the mileage postings for upcoming cities brought a sense of reality to my situation. I wasn't going to make Kansas before dark; I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do. I decided to push on as long as possible. I wanted to get home and rest up a few days before starting back to work.

Once into Kansas, I decided to take in a rest stop to prepare for an epic push. I found a nice spot by a picnic table and set up my camp chair on the grass away from the parking area. While sitting enjoying the cool night air, I came to the realization that I was really tired. I had been averaging over 500 miles a day for the last eight days or so and my body was rebelling. I was miserable and wanted nothing more to do with that motorcycle. Unfortunately, reality required that I get back on and make more miles. I did for as long as I could stand it. I finally stopped in Russel, Kansas at 3:00AM. I got a quick cheap hotel room to take a nap. I was completely spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment