Blue Ridge Parkway

Tuesday Sept 25, 2012

Day two starts uneventfully and I'm loaded relatively fast compared to my Spring trip where I took way too much stuff. This time, I've only taken the essentials for wardrobe and camping. No cooking equipment, fashion shoes, or summer riding jacket. I may revisit the cooking equipment in the future, but I can safely say I had no need of cowboy boots on this trip. I also didn't need a summer riding jacket as the weather was never hot for the entire trip.

The beauty of my current system is that all camping equipment fits into one medium sized waterproof duffel bag and the main items in the trunk are my cooler, netbook, and rain gear. The saddlebags hold clothes and miscellaneous heavy items such as tools. I also find the duffel bag backrest to be extremely comfortable. I just have to remember and pack all my soft items on the side where my back rests. It's quite a nice setup and only requires two tie-down straps. My camp chair (green) is held on by two lightweight bungee cords.
Streamlined Packing This Time
There's not much more to say about the BRP than what I've already stated. It's really an amazing road and if you've never taken time to visit, you really should. There's no admission fee and the scenery is spectacular. The facilities along the way are also commendable. There's lot's to do and the price is right.

One of the Many Overlooks on the BRP
Overlook Parking
The picture above was taken toward the end of the day. I couldn't get the two older gentlemen to pose with their bikes, but I would have sworn they were Cajuns by their very thick accents. Apparently they were from VA and full of good information about the best camping spots on the BRP. They suggested Otter Creek which is at a lower elevation and more prone to tolerable night-time temperatures. I took their advice.

New Smaller Tent
The campground was essentially deserted except for an older group of motorcyclists. They were from Georgia on their Gold Wings. They had pop-up campers which I found interesting and were most hospitable. They invited me over for the evening camp fire and we had a very pleasant time imbibing refreshments and telling travel stories. They had been all over this country on those Gold Wings and had some fascinating tales.

There's a certain beauty in traveling alone. You are very approachable and most folks want to know what makes you crazy enough to undertake such journeys by yourself. I've never not been invited to a campground next to me when camping solo on my motorcycle. It's a great way to meet folks and so far, all the people I've met have been great.

Now I'll test how my new sleeping pads work. I've brought Debbie's Therma-Rest pad in addition to mine. That's two pads stacked for extra comfort. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment